If you own or manage a business, you’re probably constantly on the lookout for lead generation marketing tips. Trying to figure out how to generate more leads and how to maximize lead generation aren’t easy tasks, after all, especially in today’s changing, increasingly global marketplace. To make matters even more challenging, finding credible B2B lead generation marketing tips can be frustrating because reliable marketing authorities often cite different mediums as the most effective sources for qualified sales leads.
While every marketing company may not agree on which lead generation marketing strategies are the best, four B2C marketing strategies and B2B marketing strategies appear on just about everyone’s list of the most effective online marketing tactics:
- Email Marketing
- Search Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Content Marketing
Even though it may be tempting to invest time and money in researching the exact B2C lead generation marketing strategies that will work best for your business right now, it might be more productive in the long run to commit to experimenting with different marketing strategies across multiple channels in the immediate term. Through experimentation, you’ll be able to identify what does and doesn’t work for your company, allocate your resources accordingly and improve your lead generation results over time.
It’s hard for many to believe, but email has now been around for a quarter of a century already. Even though email is older than many of the people who use it to communicate with others, it’s still an effective tool for lead generation. In today’s business climate, marketing automation is making email even more effective at generating B2B sales leads.
By using marketing automation tools, you can send your clients and prospects personalized emails that are tailored to their specific interests automatically. This means if you have 2,000 sales leads who have different interests, marketing automation tools make it possible for you to send 2,000 personalized messages automatically, with each email focusing on one recipient’s specific interest. This capability can increase your lead generation significantly because people are more likely to read and act on a message when the email is directly relevant to them.
If you’re trying to figure out how to maximize lead generation, it may be obvious that investing in marketing automation technology might be a smart move, especially when you learn about everything else marketing automation tools enable you to do — e.g. coordinate social media posts, schedule posts and campaigns ahead of time, reduce staffing, etc. But, using marketing automation tools isn’t the only thing you can do to increase the number of leads you get from email.
If you’re trying to learn how to generate more leads through email, here are a few tips you can use to make your emails more effective:
- Watch Your Language: Michael Aagaard has studied the effect that using certain words in your call to action can have on your conversion rate. In one instance, Aagaard compared the effectiveness of using “your” to using “my” in a final call to action. Since websites generally address visitors in second person singular form, Aagaard suspected that “your” would outperform “my,” but he was completely wrong. “Your” performed 24.95 percent worse than “my” in the call to action.
When you’re composing an email, choose your words carefully and be sure you test your verbiage to make sure it’s not having a negative effect on your conversion rate.
- Limit Options: The Paradox of Choice dictates that when you give people more choices, it’s easier for them to avoid making a decision all together. Along that line, Hick’s Law says that when individuals have fewer choices, they’re less likely to become confused. These principles indicate that you can increase your conversion rate simply by including fewer options in your emails.
MySiteAuditor took the number of options on one of its webpages from six down to one. As a result, they saw their conversion rate increase by 25 percent.
- Link Your Email Signature: If email marketing is one of your lead generation marketing strategies, it’s critical to make the most out of every message you send. One way you can do this is by linking your email signature to your website or a landing page that includes a call to action. You email signature is normally your last chance to motivate someone to take action. Don’t waste it!
According to some sources, an additional three billion people will be able to access the Internet in less than a decade. While this expected growth in Internet users presents a great opportunity to reach a vastly larger number of potential consumers for many businesses, it will also increase the volume of digital content that your own content will have to fight to win people’s attention.
Even though it’s much harder to earn a top ranking in Google today than it was just a few years ago, there are still some things you can do to improve the success you have with search marketing and making your content stand out on the increasingly crowded Internet. Some tactics you may want to employ include the following:
- Increase the Speed of Your Website: Having a fast website achieves two important things. First, it improves the experience people have when they visit your website, which increases engagement, conversion rates, and the potential for your site to be ranked highly by search engines. A faster website also lowers server costs for companies like Google. For this reason, your site is more likely to achieve a better ranking the quicker it is.
- Improve Your Website’s Security: In recent years, Google announced that websites using HTTPS for security will receive a higher ranking than websites that aren’t secured with HTTPS. With cybercrime becoming more sophisticated seemingly by the day, the risk of being hacked is greater than ever for most businesses. For this reason, the relationship between SEO rankings and website security will probably become even more important in the near future.
- Make Your Website Mobile-Friendly: In recent years, Google has encouraged companies to make their websites compatible across as many gadgets as possible, including mobile devices. If you want to improve the results you see from your search marketing efforts, make your website mobile-friendly if it isn’t already.
- Diversify Your Tactics: When it comes to marketing, what may work today may not be effective tomorrow. This makes it vital to diversify your marketing strategies, the kind of content you publish and the sources of your website traffic.
One kind of content you may want to consider adding to your mix is visually captivating long-form. After examining its various types of content, including infographics, videos and blogs, VentureHarbour discovered that its long-form content outperformed other kinds of content in several ways, including conversions, traffic and leads.
The reviews of the effectiveness of using social media as a source of B2B leads are mixed to say the least. When companies fail to find leads using social media, it’s often because they don’t have an effective strategy for using social media, not because social media isn’t a good lead source.
If you’re going to make using social media one of your lead generation marketing strategies, you should know that social media outlets aren’t equal when it comes to producing B2C or B2B leads. For instance, a study of more than 5,000 businesses conducted by HubSpot revealed that traffic from LinkedIn had a conversion rate of 2.74 percent while traffic from Twitter and Facebook had conversion rates of 0.69 percent and 0.77 percent, respectively. In other words, the conversion rate for leads from LinkedIn is 277 percent greater than it is for leads from both Twitter and Facebook.
While leads from LinkedIn convert at a significantly higher rate than leads from other social media outlets, it doesn’t mean LinkedIn should be the only social media website you should focus on. Instead, it means you may want to spend more time soliciting leads through LinkedIn, but not at the exclusion of using other social media.
Here are some B2C marketing strategies and B2B marketing strategies you can use to increase the number of leads you get from social media:
- Write for LinkedIn: A few years ago, LinkedIn opened its publishing platform so that any of its members can create and publish content. This allows you to present information to others in your field as well as professionals in different industries, giving you the opportunity to create strategic relationships with accomplished executives, managers and entrepreneurs. Publishing on LinkedIn gives you the equally valuable chance to position yourself as an industry expert, something that can boost your company’s credibility and brand awareness.
While creating content for LinkedIn is a great way to enjoy the benefits just mentioned, it’s not enough to generate leads. You also have to make a compelling offer and include links to a specific landing page in your content to capture business leads.
- Promote Your Twitter Messages: Recent research conducted by Nielson showed that being exposed to multiple promoted Tweets produces favorable results, including better brand association and relevance and a greater intent to purchase. More specifically, the study revealed that consumers who regularly see several promoted Tweets have an intent to purchase that’s 12 percent greater than those who aren’t exposed to multiple promoted Tweets.
To make the most out of your promoted Tweets, be sure you link your message to a dedicated landing page that’s directly related to your Tweet. Even though promoted Tweets are considered sponsored content, they should still be fun and meaningful to your followers. Keep this in mind when you’re preparing your sponsored Tweets.
- Use Followerwonk on Twitter: Just like all social media sites aren’t created equally, all sales leads don’t have the same value, meaning some will be more open to the idea of buying your goods or services than others. Which would you prefer to have — a list of leads or a list of leads that’s been filtered to identify your best prospects? If you’re like most, you’d certainly prefer the latter so you wouldn’t waste valuable time or resources contacting people who won’t have a legitimate interest in what you’re selling. Luckily, Followerwonk makes it possible for you to create lead lists from Twitter, and it enables you to filter those lists to identify your most promising prospects.
- Provide Answers on Quora: In recent months and years, Quora has become an increasingly popular resource for consumers looking to have their questions answered. All you have to do to provide answers to the questions people are asking on Quora is to make a profile. When you’re creating your profile, you’ll have the chance to link to your website or a dedicated landing page. This gets you in front of consumers and business leaders who are asking about the solutions your company can provide, which can improve your lead generation efforts as well as your conversion rate.
If you’re going to make content marketing one of your B2B lead generation marketing strategies, you might be wondering about the kind of content you should create. While long-form content was discussed briefly earlier, here are some other types of content and the percentage of B2B companies that use them to produce leads:
- Social Media (not including blogs): 92 percent
- eNewsletters: 83 percent
- Articles on Company Website: 81 percent
- Blogs: 80 percent
- In-Person Events: 77 percent
- Case Studies: 77 percent
- Videos: 76 percent
- Illustrations/Photos: 69 percent
- White Papers: 68 percent
- Online Presentations: 65 percent
To determine the type of content that will produce the greatest number of leads for your business, it’s generally advisable to experiment with different kinds of content and see which ones work the best. Regardless of whether you create long-form, microsites, videos, webinars, infographics, a combination of them or something else, it’s important to constantly test your content so you can refine your content marketing strategy and generate more leads as time goes by.
Here are some B2B lead generation marketing tips you can use to improve your content marketing:
- Make Product Videos: According to the Social Science Research Network, 30 percent of the population learns by hearing, five percent learns by doing and touching, and the remaining 65 percent learns by seeing. With the majority of the general population being visual learners, it makes little sense to not include making product videos in your content marketing. Product videos can be a great way to engage your viewers and motivate them to buy something, share their email address or perform another action. In fact, one case study showed that videos that explain products can produce leads up to a rate of 33 percent.
- Maximize Your About Page: Too many business owners and managers view their company’s “about” or “meet our team” page only as a webpage that tell people about themselves and their organization. While an about page is certainly the place to tell consumers about yourself, your staff and your company, it’s more than a tell-all page. It’s also the perfect place for you to include a call to action.
To maximize your about page’s potential for generating leads, put a desirable value proposition in its title. You should also make sure the content on the page is in paragraphs that are short enough for readers to scan through quickly and easily. Finally, your about page should have a call to action that inspires your visitors to do what you want them to do.
- Blog Regularly: It’s been proven over and over again that blogging can be an effective way for a company to generate B2B and B2C leads. Even still, many businesses abandon their blogs if they don’t see immediate results in the first few months.
For your blog to attract a loyal audience, you need to create posts that will be meaningful to your readers and publish them regularly. For your blog to produce the leads you want, every post you publish needs to include a powerful call to action. If you’ve written an ebook about a topic that’s relevant to your audience, consider letting people who share their email address download it for free, for example.
- Rework Your Old Content: If you have archived blog posts or older content, you should revisit these pieces to make sure they’re still effective. If you don’t have time to perform a full content audit, consider using your analytics to identify the older pieces that are viewed most often and focus on editing them. If your evergreen content doesn’t have a call to action or it’s outdated, put a call to action that you’re using in your current pieces in the material.
To promote your older content, you can mention it in future blog posts, referencing specific pieces as must-reads. Just as it’s important for you to have a current call to action in your older content, it’s just as critical that you don’t give up on your older pieces and delete them. When you delete your previous work, you could miss out on long tail conversions that may add to your bottom line.
Ideas for Lead Generation Offline
If you’re struggling to figure out how to generate more leads for your business offline, rest assured that there are a number of effective things you can do to attract both B2C and B2B leads. Here are a few ideas:
- Give a Presentation: When you deliver a speech or presentation at a live, in-person event, your audience sees you as an authority figure and industry resource. If your presentation goes well, people will want to talk to you afterward.
While the individuals who’ll flock to your side after your talk are already qualified prospects, you can use them to find even more business leads. Even if an event isn’t directly related to your products or services, consider giving a presentation anyway as long as it’s relevant to the event’s attendees in some manner. Whenever you’re in front of a group, you’re in a positon to generate leads for your company.
- Use Traditional Advertising: While it’s easy to get caught up in the possibilities that online activities have to generate sales leads and increase conversion rates, traditional advertising should still be a big part of your marketing strategy in most cases. Some conventional advertising tactics you may want to consider include television, radio and newspaper advertisements. You may even want to think about using a billboard, or a series of them, to promote your company.
- Get a Vanity Phone Number: A vanity phone number can be great for lead generation. It enables you to achieve two key things affordably — make your phone number unforgettable and tell consumers something about your business. A good example of an effective 800 number for lead generation is 1-800-FLOWERS. With that example in mind, it’s easy to imagine how a toll-free number from 800response can help you generate leads who are actively looking for what you’re selling.
We’ll Help You Create Your Vanity Phone Number
With a vanity phone number from us, you won’t “just” get more calls, more sales and more profits. Our tracking software will also give you the data you need to learn all about your callers. You can use our call dashboard to capture your callers’ addresses and demographics, for example. You can also use our software to learn when people are most likely to contact your business and what marketing tactic motivated them to call your business. To learn more about how you can use one of our 800 numbers for lead generation, contact 800response today.